I recently installed SharePoint 15 on a dev box to see what this new sexy thing is all about.
What I found, besides a very nice look and feel is a very unresponsive machine. Fair enough, it only has 4GB RAM and 4 cores, but this was a new type of slow.
I looked around for some performance stuff on SharePoint 2013 but found that there is a substantial lack of content in the wild to give you a “click here, powershell this” answer, so I failed back to the basics of making things quicker.
Step 0. Open site with Chrome. (My favourite flavour of browser/html magic worker)
Analyse the page
Step 1. Increase SQL server priority and memory allocation.
Step 2. Gzip on IIS
Open C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config file
Add the dynamicCompressionLevel attribute to the <schema> node like this:
<httpCompression [..]> <scheme [..] dynamicCompressionLevel="9" /> </httpCompression>
Step 3. BLOB Cache and Ouput Cache
Open Web.Config file
<BlobCache […] enabled="false" />
Change the enabled=”false” to enabled=”true”
And increase the Object cache size.
<BlobCache location="C:\BlobCache\14" path="\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|jfif|bmp|dib|tif|tiff|ico|png|wdp|hdp|css|js|asf|avi|flv|m4v|mov|mp3|mp4|mpeg|mpg|rm|rmvb|wma|wmv|ogg|ogv|oga|webm|xap)$" maxSize="10" enabled="true" /> <ObjectCache maxSize="500" />
At least this is what I did and there was an immediate performance increase. Well at least it is caching properly. There is still a 25% CPU load on the CPU thanks to SQL server, but this is not a bit issue at the moment, at least I can now navigate and show off our pretty “SharePoint to be” site.